Archive for October, 2007
What do you think that happens, if we make the search of the word “Barcelona” in the Spanish Google?
As it happens in the version of Google in English, one would wait for in the first places the Web of the City council of Barcelona or the connection to the Wikipedia with the information of Barcelona. But it is not true. Apparently Google-Spain believe that the Web of the Football Club Barcelona is more important.
The picture of Ernesto Che Guevara taken by Alberto Korda is the more reproduced image in the history of the photography. The use of this image has been so diverse as amount of supports that contain it: ash trays, t-shirts, tattoos, graphites, marks of beer, pins… and are distributed by all the corners of planetary geography.
In the exhibition “Che! Revolution and market “, conceived by the critic (english) Trisha Ziff, take shelter a three hundred of pieces, signed and anonymous, that reinforce or not, the photography original by Korda the 5 of March of 1960 in Havana, under the original title of “the heroic guerrilla”.
More in bcn.es.
One of the most representative characteristics of Barcelona is its great architectonic wealth, result of the long-haul of the towns that successively inhabited the city, and that pronounces in an urban structure that it is formed from four stages:
This first stage includes one of the key processes in the life of the city: its romanización. Is the primitive nucleus and the example is the Plaza de Sant Jaume.
- Medieval and modern Barcelona. Attractive main Medieval Barcelona gives to Barcelona one of its architectonic ones, the gothic district, that presents/displays the splendor of a manifest time in the enclosure of the seat of the King, its churches, houses, palaces and chapels and the facade of the Cathedral. Examples: Churchs of Betlem, de la Mare de Déu de la Mercè, la Casa de la Caritat, el Palau de la Virreina.
- The coming of the Modernismo leaves a track architectonic of first magnitude. The work of Gaudí (the Sagrada Family, the Milà-La House Stone quarry, the Vicenç House, the Batlló House, the Güell park, etc.), of Piug i Cadafalch (the houses Amatller, Martí, the Palau Macaya, etc.), and of Domènech i Montaner (the Hospital of Sant Pau, the Palau of Catalan Music) is key datum points in the history of the architecture and, some of them, patrimony of the humanity.
- Both last centuries. Outstanding architectonic works is became in the occasion of the Universal Exhibition of 1929, many of which are in the area of influence of Montjuïc and the seat of Espanya (the Magical Source, the National Palau, the Poble Espanyol, the Pavelló Mies goes to der Rohe, etc.).
- The Museum of Contemporanean Art (Barcelona)
The history of the Museum of Contemporary Art (MACBA) goes back to 1959 when art critic Alexandre Cirici Pellicer championed the idea of creating a museum of contemporary art in Barcelona.
- The Museum of City History (MCHB)
- The Museo Picasso in Barcelona
The Picasso Museum in Barcelona is more important for understanding the first years of Pablo Picasso. More than 3,500 works that make up the permanent collection.
Las Ramblas is one of the most beautiful trips you can make in the city, with coffeshops, street permormers, street musicians, etc.
From its beginning next to Catalunya Park to its end on the foot of the monument to Colón, Las ramblas take a few names: Canaletes, Estudis, Flors, Caputxins, Santa Mónica, Del mar.
In this map, you can look the differents zones of the Ramblas, with differents colours.